Featured Post

[SOUTH KOREA] YUMMY KALGUKSU AND MANDU AT MYEONG DONG KYOJA

Michelin Bib Gourmand 2017 - 2019 and a history of more than 40 years,  Myeong Dong Kyoja specializes in Korean knife-cut noodle soup. The restaurant was packed to the brim when I was there and a solo diner like me was allocated to a seat at one corner. lolol
They have 2 outlets within close proximity and have a menu consisting of 4 items. Like that also can sustain means they are very good! 


There were Kalguksu (chopped noodle soup), Bibimguksu (spicy noodle soup), Mandu (dumplings), and Kongguksu (noodles in cold soybean soup). They are all priced at KRW 9,000 with the mandu at KRW10,000 and they gave their house-made kimchi on the side. 

Their signature dish is, of course, the Kalguksu and that is what I ordered. My order came in this big bowl of top-class boiled chicken broth with noodles inside. The broth was thick and rich in flavor. No flour is added as well. The noodles were soft and just the right amount of texture. The secret in achieving this consistency is that the noodles absorb some of the broth thus becoming softer. 
The best noodles I have tasted in the 10 days I spent in South Korea. It came with 4 mandus, minced meat, and vegetables.

I ordered the Mandus as well. The basket of 10 Mandus is seriously for sharing. haha. I had a HARD time finishing all 10 by myself. Mandu (만두; 饅頭) are dumplings in Korean cuisine. Mandu can be steamed, boiled, pan-fried, or deep-fried. Korean dumplings are traditionally made with a beef or pork filling, but chicken and vegetarian dumplings also are popular. 
The ones at Myeong Dong Kyoja are made with fresh pork fillings and chives. The Mandus are wrapped in a thin translucent layer of skin, encasing substantial fillings. It is seriously not too bad but I would prefer it to be juicer.






Comments